Wednesday 25 November 2015

Stop comparisons and accept the variety life offers

Republished from hindustantimes

According to a mid-15th century proverb, ‘Comparisons are odious’ and I feel this is entirely true but it is rare to find someone who has drawn inspiration from this old adage. We go on making comparisons and end up with criticism that leads us towards negativity.
Just as all our fingers are different from each other, each person is different from the other; he or she has different qualities, skills, talent and attitude towards life. Some people are by nature introvert while others are extrovert, but we often ask others to change according to us. Sadly, even children are not spared.
As a child, I remember, such statements often led to arguments between my younger brother and me. One of my aunts left no stone unturned to express whatever came to her mind. ‘The younger one is fairer and has a charming face while the elder one is too dark, has a big nose and is really poor in studies.’ It always pinched me and she reminded me about it at regular intervals.
She chose to focus on the negatives without realising that there were areas in which I excelled.
Wherever she went, she made such comparisons and till date I see her dissatisfied.
I feel that rather than adopting the culture of comparisons, we should understand that everything and every person has both good and bad aspects. We must appreciate this variety because that’s what makes our life interesting. That is why it has been said, ‘Variety is the spice of life’. So, why not accept the variety that life has to offer, instead of remaining dissatisfied by making comparisons?
(Inner Voice comprises contributions from our readers The views expressed are personal)
innervoice@hindustantimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment