Thursday 19 November 2015

Three Immediate Things We Can Do in Times of Difficulty

Republished from Huffingtonpost

2015-11-18-1447867935-8148715-Lighthouserock.jpeg

In light of recent events in Paris, and other nations, we are more and more aware that the future is out of our control. The loss of innocent lives to terrorism, natural disasters, and violence has struck fear in many, and has threatened our way of life.
I don't know the answers, and I don't think anyone really does, but what I do know is that we are in control of a few things. I was at yoga last night and my instructor, Carol, spoke of kindness in times of confusion and compassion in times of hate. Her words reminded me of the positive outlook that I tried to adopt in recent difficult times.
In October, I lost a good friend and had to speak at his memorial. I wrote the speech and kept being reminded of all the times we had together and the things we would never do, and most importantly, I would never be able to thank him for all he did for me. This cruel reality still gets to me but I did my best to end the speech with three points that we can move forward with in times of difficulty. Here are three immediate things we can do in times of difficulty.
1.Text messaging has allowed us to connect instantly with loved ones, and we have in our pockets, messages with the loved ones who aren't near. After my friend's passing I was able to review conversations of happy times and even laugh at memories that had slipped my mind while coming to grips with what happened. I suggest to text the people you love and care about, say thank you and tell them how much you love them. It is a simple gesture but looking back you may be surprised at things you missed in the moment.
2. Doing a random act of kindness for someone you know or don't know shows that you care about humankind. In a time full of confusion, emotions, and anger, reacting in a productive, positive manner allows us to realize that there is good in the world and we can be apart of it.
3.Doing something for yourself. Often times we neglect our own well-being between difficult work, stressing circumstances, money, and lack of sleep. In times of loss and sorrow, we often forget about ourselves, and that we have only one life to live. This is the moment to take time for yourself and to not be so hard on yourself.
After recent events people have shown their thoughts, concerns, feelings, and frustration towards others. We are more aware than ever that the future is uncertain and that we have little control of how it plays out.

Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being. 
-Albert Schweitzer
image by Sergei Akulich

No comments:

Post a Comment