Monday 17 October 2016

Gratitude For Pain?

Republished from The Secret


A few years back about an hour before my sons birthday party when around 20 kids were to show up for a pool party, I fell off our trampoline and broke my neck.
At first I just saw stars and didn’t feel barely any pain but 20 seconds later the pain kicked in and right away I knew I broke my neck. I lay flat on the grass and told my son to call the ambulance. The paramedics came and took all the precautions by gentling rolling me onto the gurney after securing a neck brace.
The ride to the hospital seemed like an eternity as I was in total agony. The paramedics were not able to give me anything for pain until the doctor saw me. After arriving to emergency they wheeled me in for xrays, then a Cat scan and then an MRI. Finally after a few hours of tests and excruciating pain the doctor arrived with some news.
The neurosurgeon told me that indeed I broke my neck and then proceeded to tell me “With as bad as you broke your neck you should be dead or a quadriplegic, you are the luckiest man in this hospital”. When he spoke those words the song “Pain” by 3 Days Grace started streaming through my head “I’d rather feel pain then nothing at all…”, then my heart filled with uncontainable gratitude and I started sobbing tears of joy.
I was experiencing the most intense pain of my life and I was truly grateful for that pain. I knew if I didn’t feel that pain it would mean I was dead or paralyzed. I knew if I didn’t feel that pain I would never hold or play with my sons again.
My recovery took nearly a year and it involved much pain, discomfort, incredible inconveniences and challenges but every time I was tempted to complain, God would remind me of how much I had to be grateful for and again fill my heart with gratitude for His goodness and blessings in my life.
That year also included many other challenges in significant relationships and huge financial setbacks and even for those I was reminded again and again to look for the beauty, to look for the blessings, to look for the good. Of course I didn’t do it perfectly every time but I chose gratitude often enough that it changed my life, my heart, my outlook on life, my relationships, my acceptance of myself and every other area of my life.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment